In the Middle Ages, according to the story, an extraordinarily effective herbal mixture was used by four thieves to protect themselves from the plague during their raids on the premises of sick people. Despite the highly contagious infectious disease, the four thieves were spared the plague by rubbing themselves with the herbs. It was only when they were arrested in France that the four revealed the secret mixture of their miracle cure, for the court in France only mitigated the sentence in exchange for the secret recipe being handed over.
Scientifically confirmed effect
The Weber State University in Utah tested the mixture and confirmed the antiviral, antiseptic & antibacterial effect in their studies. Thus, this oil blend is considered an excellent remedy for the cold and flu season. This is mainly due to the ingredients of the oil:
- Eucalyptus oil: Eucalyptus oil has many health-promoting and antioxidant properties. The eucalyptol it contains increases the absorption of essential oils and medicines through the skin by more than 90%.
- Clove oil: This antioxidant oil is known for its immune-boosting properties and is considered a top free radical scavenger. It has warming, antispasmodic, antiparasitic and analgesic properties.
- Rosemary: Rosemary perks up and refreshes in case of tiredness and mental exhaustion, furthermore it has a vitalising effect.
- Cinnamon bark: Cinnamon bark also has a high content of antioxidants, is digestive, anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic, analgesic and warming.
- Lemon: Lemon is also considered a powerful antioxidant, refreshing and antibacterial. It also supports lymph function and the formation of white blood cells.
The 4-thieves oil blend can be used to inhale for a cold and gargle for a sore throat, for healthy teeth and gums in toothpaste, on dental floss, as a disinfecting room spray or even for insect bites. Overall, the oil can be used for many different ailments. Here is an excerpt:
- For cold or flu: Apply the oil diluted to the upper back and centre of the chest or simply rub it on the soles of the feet. Can also be used with hot water for inhalation. To ward off viruses, it is recommended to use the oil in the diffuser to kill the viruses in the air.
- For sore throat:Gurgle a diluted drop with a tablespoon of water and then swallow.
- For toothache or gum problems: Use the oil diluted with toothpaste or spread a drop on a floss.
- For skin problems or acne:Apply the oil diluted to the affected areas.
- For massage:Dilute the oil with massage oil, organic coconut oil or olive oil.
- For fungus:Rub the diluted oil into the affected areas on the toes and feet.
- For insect bites: Apply diluted oil to the affected areas.
Essential oils are highly concentrated and should always be diluted when used externally, otherwise skin irritation may occur. We recommend almond or St. John's wort oil as a base oil. We have had good experience with a mixing ratio of 20:80 (oil mixture to base oil). You should also pay attention to the quality of the oils, which is why we recommend high-quality oils from controlled organic cultivation (kbA). If you have any questions about the application, our aromatherapy specialists at the Saint Charles Apotheke Wien and Berlin will be happy to help.